Saturday, July 11, 2009

Chapter notes

Hi Suzanne,
Here's my copied notes from Chapter 1 and then below them are my notes from Chapter 2.

I read the preface and chapter 1 of the text and am reading it both for the class and for presentation ideas to faculty when we start developing it. The opening paragraph in the Preface (the larger font paragraph) was an eye opener - I think I'll address this in greater detail in the technology chapter but it definitely needs to be discussed!! The instructor's manual has discussion topics for online discussions - might as well not reinvent the wheel if the questions are already created! I haven't looked at them yet but discovered that little tidbit when reading the preface.

Chapter one was a good read in defining what creativity is as well as convergent and divergent thinking. I especially liked the charts on page 6 and page 8 - little tidbits of people's conceptions of creativity! :) I had a brain fart about using creativity in our presentation - put some items on each table and have the faculty members sitting there create something with these items - the objective would be to collaborate (something we do), share ideas, recognize their own limitations when going through this process - be able to reflect upon it in a discussion and try to include the short list on page 7. (This would also be a great student activity - if we could incorporate it somehow - but that is your chapter, so.....) I find when I can recognize my own limitations I am better able to "see" through my student's eyes and let them go with things - be creative - because, as the book states, some creativity actions can be inappropriate, behavioral issues, etc. but we shouldn't smother that process - try to encourage the child to work through the problem to help alleviate the behavior....I digress. sorry!

Chapter 2, while a bit redundant and dry did have some interesting points.
* Gaining the knowledge and skills is critical to creative behaviors. I liked how the author stated, " The curriculum is the guide by which early childhood teachers determine what will be presented to children. Creativity is fostered according to how the curriculum is presented to the child." (p.28 summary) Part of that "how" includes the language used in presenting it to the child. In order to stimulate creativity language actually shapes thoughts, feelings and experiences.
* I liked the creative questioning section because it provided varied examples. And, the language is appropriate to stimulate problem solving type responses - or cognitive thinking which leads to creativity.
* Differentiated instruction is the norm these days but is important for new teachers to know and understand.
* I liked the "recipe" in modifying curriculum.
* The "Think About it..." on page 25 was interesting - not many teachers are promoting creativity according to that survey - I would like to think that that is an anomaly - based on our students in our current class I would say that creativity is alive and well in Vermont teachers-to-be!

Okay,
I am off to read Chapter 3 - I agree, even though we have chosen not to use it, it may contain valuable information to cause us to reconsider...

Will post more later!
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment