Friday, July 17, 2009

Discussion forum for Chapter 5

Hi Suzanne,
Here's what I've done for the forum for Chapter 5. It may be too much but I did it myself and it took about 45 minutes. Your feedback would be great!! I've read through chapter 5 and felt like creating the forum.

After reading Chapter 5, Children, Teachers, and Creative Activities, complete the following:

1. In order to get you to think about your way of relating to and working with children, complete the “Self Awareness Worksheet” located in documents. The purpose of this worksheet is to have you observe your professional activities and reflect on them as they are related to knowledge of theory and practice in education. Self-assessment is difficult. It’s hard to be objective about habits, values, and expectations that are an integral part of one’s identity. Use this activity sheet as a start. Some of you might find it more comfortable to deal with only two or three of the self-awareness questions at a time. These questions are for you, you do not have to turn in the worksheet. However, discuss some of your reflections in the forum. Were you surprised by your responses? What are some things you would like to change? Are there things you have been doing without thinking too much about it and now you are more aware? What are they?

2. Use the outline below to plan a lesson that includes all of the multiple intelligences.

Age/Grade level:
Lesson Theme/Concept:

Logical-Mathematical: How can I use numbers, lists, classifications, logic, and scientific inquiry?

Linguistic: How can I use language (stories, poems, reader’s theater)?

Interpersonal: How can I use partners or cooperative group activities?

Spatial: How can I use visualization, art, colors, or metaphors?

Intrapersonal: How can I provide choices or involve personal memories or feelings?

Musical: How can I use music, rhythm, songs, raps, chants, or instruments?

Bodily-Kinesthetic: How can I use movement or hands-on activities?

Naturalistic: How can I incorporate outdoor activities into the curriculum?

Self Awareness Worksheet

Answer the following questions using complete statements with examples. A simple Yes or No is not enough!

1. Do I adjust my teaching style to meet individual learning differences and developmental levels?

2. Have I extended my ideas and expectations concerning how and what children ought to learn?

3. Am I aware of my oral language and body language in my responses to children, in order to invite them to learn more?

4. Have I taken individual differences and developmental levels into consideration in planning my lessons and curriculum?

5. Have I taken individual differences and developmental levels into consideration in my teaching practices?

6. Am I able to tolerate the small mistakes children make?

7. Do I avoid telling the child the best way to do things?

8. Do I show more concern with the process than with the product in creative activities?

9. Do I make time simply to observe children?

10. Do I have a system to help children plan choices?

No comments:

Post a Comment